Recipe of the Week – Roast Summer Vegetables with Chickpeas
Recipe of the Week – Roast Summer Vegetables with
Now that the days are getting longer, the last thing we want to do is slave over a hot stove cooking. That’s why this summery tomato based dish is the ideal choice, it’s a simple one pot recipe that is full of flavor and tastes gorgeous. This means you can enjoy more of the sun! Serve it as a hearty healthy main meal dish or use as a side dish. The beauty of this is that you can add whatever you fancy! Simple yet very effective!
Costs:approx £6 (that’s stocking up on your herbs aswell!)
Prep time: 15/20mins
Cooking time: 50mins
Healthy switch: It’s healthy enough!
How fattening is this? (1 low, 3 high): *
Difficulty (1 low, 3 high): *
WOW factor (1 low, 3 high): ***
You’ll need: A large casserole dish
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 400g can chickpeas
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 3 courgettes
- 1 aubergine
- 3 chopped garlic cloves
- 2 red peppers
- 2 large baking potatoes
- 1 onion
- small bunch coriander
- This recipe is great on its own, or a brilliant side dish for meat & fish. Our favourite is chicken!
- Swap any vegetables you want! We love this because everyone’s version is different.
- If like me you don’t like coriander, take it out. I used mixed herbs instead. Or change the coriander seeds for ground coriander.
- Grate some cheese on the top & grill just before serving.
- A tablespoon of Tabasco works wonders for a fiery kick!
1. Heat oven to 220c
2. Tip all the vegetables in the dish and toss with the coriander seeds, most of the olive oil and salt and pepper.
3. Add all your chopped vegetables to the dish making an even layer.
4. Roast for 45mins, or until vegetables are nice and brown (not burnt!)
5. Place the dish on a low heat and add the tomatoes and chickpeas.
6. Simmer and gently stir.
7. Scatter the fresh chopped coriander; add a touch of oil & season to taste.
Gather everyone up and serve straight from the dish with fresh bread, couscous or whatever you fancy. The great thing about this dish is it’s great with most things.
This oh so healthy dish is great for dinner parties and entertaining. What are your must have foods for the warmer months?